Monday, 1 August 2011

Garlieston and Rigg Bays

I'd arrived in Garlieston on a beautifully calm Summer's evening after having driven down from Glasgow to join Linda at the caravan (at the caravan Club site in Garlieston). We had spent time down at the pier watching the tide drifting in - bringing with it grey mullet and a kayaker who'd just done a loop out along the coast to Cruggleton Castle.  Inspired by the evening atmosphere and fine weather I resolved to do the trip along to Cruggleton next morning.  Weather was clear and calm but unfortunately the sea was not, a heavy swell from the south east was driving into Garlieston Bay.  Once out of the shelter of the harbour I sat for a few minutes in the bouncing sea and wondering whether it was worthwhile going on.  In the end I decided to keep going and made out across the head of Rigg Bay - right over the top of the Mulberry Harbour remains I think, if the upswelling of water was anything to go by.  There is a large buoy marking the site but this was about a hundred yards from my position.  By the time I got to Sliddery Point the sea had picked up again and I thought it prudent to head into the bay.  After taking a few shots of Cruggleton Castle and the caves at Sliddery Point I made for a small beach at the edge of the bay - where the sea immediately calmed.





Pushed along by the wind and swell on the way back I was soon into Garlieston bay where Linda joined me for a short trip across the bay (Linda taking over in the touring kayak).  Once over at the Eggerness side of the bay the swell again became apparent  - Linda also somehow managing to get stuck on top of a submerged rock before rushing back to the shelter of the harbour.





No comments:

Post a Comment