Monday, 18 July 2011

Cambret Moor

Cambret Moor, on the hills above Creetown, has a fair number of prehistoric archeological sites - cairns, stone circles, cup and ring marked rocks etc.  I headed up to have a look and more specifically to find something else I'd failed to find in the past - a cup and ring marked rock incised with seven rings.  Given my lack of success with Billy marshall's cave the chances were low, but I was determined ...... and what do you know, I found it.  Here's the proof;


If you look closely you can see the rings - honest.

Close by, on the other side of the Cauldside Burn, is a large cairn with a cist and an incomplete stone circle.  Interestingly all three are aligned and point towards another ancient cairn on the top of Cairnharrow about a mile away.



Lots of interesting bog plants in the area including this orchid (?).

No comments:

Post a Comment