Friday, 15 July 2011

Loch of Cree

Alongside the Wood of Cree the river broadens and turns into an area of slow moving water, reed beds and marshes known as the Loch of Cree.  I'd always wanted to paddle this and had looked out for a 'put in' place when I came along this way on the bike a few days ago.  So, today I dropped the kayak off at a spot I'd identified, on the river bank just opposite Pennighame House, and parked in the new RSPB car park at Barclye - part of the newly acquired extension to the Wood of Cree RSPB reserve.  I knew this as the site of an old lead mine and was happy to see when I looked behind the undrgrowth and bushes that the old adits heading into the hillside were still there.  Back at the kayak I set off upstream through wooded banks to cover the half mile or so to the loch.  The river was low and caused trouble with grounding on the numerous small rapids - I seemed to spend more time out of the kayak hauling than actually in paddling. 



Taking the direct route around Cut Island (through the Cut) I emerged into the broad loch through a swathe of reeds to a different landscape of broad deep waters, reeds and water lilies.


 As you would expect with a bird reserve there was plenty wildlife about - ducks, swans, sand martins, roe deer etc.  I knew there were otters in the area and kept my eyes peeled for a sighting without any luck.  Although I was paddling against the flow I had a good tailwind pushing me along and made good progress to the end of the loch about four miles upstream.


 I continued to the junction of the Cree and the Minnoch, with the Cree surprisingly being the significantly smaller of the two rivers at this point.  It the does make you wonder why the lower river wasn't named after the Minnoch. 

The return trip was hard work!  With the wind in my face I had to work all the way - deciding to take out in the Cut to avoid the shallow section and walk back to the car.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment